The Village School is an opportunity for kids to come to our farm and forests for one whole day per week (Wednesdays) during the school year. During these days they will sink into the rhythm of farm life and the natural world where their classroom is our farm and over 100 acres of forest, fields, pastures, savannahs, and marsh in Shelburne, VT.
The Village School will give kiddos an opportunity to sink in to a true “Day in the Life” of farm life and to develop skills to be part of a community, a Village. They will learn to care for the land that sustains us by participating in raising and growing the food that we eat, preparing the food that we eat, and learning the skills necessary to be self reliant and strong. We hope to help the kids develop a sense of ownership and care of the land as they learn more deeply about it and all it has to offer.
FALL 2017-SPRING 2018 DATES
* Wednesdays 9am-3pm
* September 13 - December 13 and February 7 - June 13 2018
* @ Bread & Butter Farm in Shelburne
PROGRAM COST AND REGISTRATION
Our program is $1800 for the school year. This tuition includes the lunches and snacks for the kids in the program. To register there is an application to fill out. For Ages 7 and up.
9:00: Arrival -Gathering circle, check in, gratitude around farm fire pit
9:30: Farm Chores
10:00: Group Game
10:30: Snack time and Guilds
12:45: Clean up
1:00: Fox Walk into Forest Base Camp
1:15: Free/explore time
2:15: Sit Spot
2:30: Story Catcher
ACTIVITIES AND SKILLS DURING GUILDS (and otherwise)
• Traditional Skills: fire building, shelter and forts, cordage making, wood crafts
• Farm Skills: Harvesting and planting, animal husbandry, food preparation and storage
• Naturalist Skills: Plant and Animal identification, soil health and building, observation, refelction
• Community Member: Team building, problem solving, team work, communication, conflict resolution, trust, gender…
• Play: physical health, climbing, playing, running, hiking, strength, games